Genre: Classic Literature (Classics)

Why, reader, do you love classics?"
"Tell us all the reasons you love classic literature. What are your favorite classics? If you could give a list of classics to someone who claims to hate them to make them change their mind, what would be on it? How would you convince them to give classics a try? And why do you keep coming back to those old favorites?"


Okay, confession time:

I'm not a huge fan of the classics. In High School I hardly remember any of them.

One book though did stand out: GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens. I loved the whole premise of a girl trained up to shun her suiters. But mostly I loved this one scene that never left me:



There was just something equally disgusting yet fascinating about keeping a wedding feast for eons as a way for the jilted bride to never forget that terrible day. I also think it shows her own attempt at gaining control of a terrible situation by making her niece learn never to open her heart to anyone.

Plus, can you see how this horror element later came through in my own writings!

Comments

Suey said…
Ah, that scene! It is pretty powerful! Even as an 8th grader when I read that book and didn't understand much of it, I came away with that scene in my head!
Kim Baccellia said…
I know, huh? It still sticks with me.

Popular posts from this blog

YA Scavenger Hunt: Meet Amalie Howard

Blogfest 2012

#Wipmadness Week 3-- Celebrate Rejections