More Cybils 2018 Finalists

1. MR. WOLF'S CLASS by Aron Nels Steinke





This story reminds me so much of my own first year teaching at an inner city school close to East LA. My first year I also had to redo the whole classroom(my school was like, 'uh, we don't have any bilingual materials. It's all on you.' So yeah, I ended up making my own curriculum. Thank god for this one La Habra Teacher of the Year who shared her own materials!) This graphic novel is very realistic with the portrayals of not only the diverse students, but the new teacher too).










2. GRAND THEFT HORSE by G. Neri




This graphic novel shows the world of horse racing and the girl who dared to fight a system. Loved the idea of a Native American protagonist who refuses to look away at animal abuse in horse racing.

















3.  BE PREPARED by Vera Brosgol




Omg, this book brought back memories! Like the author, I HATED camp. Only in my case it was Mormon girl's camp. I was 12 years old and let's just say one very embarrassing event had be traumatized for life. **I couldn't get to the bathroom in time. Yup, mega embarrassing what happened next. In this story a young girl wants to go to camp and ends up in a Russian one with camp mates that are five years older than her. She doesn't understand the language and other 'cultural' things that happen there.  Hilarious and so, so relatable for anyone who has ever went to camp.










4. AS THE CROW FLIES by Melanie Gillman




This story also takes place in a camp-like setting. Only in this case the protagonist feels out of place in an all-white Christian youth backpacking camp. Then she meets another fellow spirit camper, who shares her questions about faith.













5. THE TEA DRAGON SOCIETY by Katie O'Neill




This is a very sweet, beautifully illustrated tale of a young girl who finds a dragon, who is a tea dragon. Yes, the dragons have tea leaves on their horns.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Scavenger Hunt: Meet Amalie Howard

Blogfest 2012

#Wipmadness Week 3-- Celebrate Rejections