Friday Five

1. Been working hard on my NaNowrimo project. Now I'm at Act 2 of the story in which Sammi takes matters into her own hands and goes to Italy to uncover the mystery behind her beloved grandmother's past.

Plan to write out my story line and take to critique group next Wednesday night. Lou, my writing mentor, told me she's excited to see what I have. Plus, I really need some help brainstorming what goes on in Act 2 and Act 3 of my story. What does Sammi find out about her grandmother? In the process of that discovery, it will unleash her own resistance to moving forward in her life.

Samantha 'Sammi'

Giuseppi


Lucca, Italy

2. Also been reading TONS due to the Cybils. Here's some teasers of books I read this week:


 I really loved this story about a girl who struggles with her faith after her mother's cancer comes back.  What's really great about this story is it shows the conflicts, struggles in a realistic light and how the protagonist learns from what's going on around her. Yes, it's not tied up in a pretty happily ever after ribbon at the end, but rather shows how she grows and accepts what happens.

3.


This one deals with the aftermath of a teen's sister dying. This novel also doesn't show the dead sister as being that good girl, but rather it's much more complicated than that.

4. 
Think THE AMERICANS meet YA. I really loved this portrayal of a daughter who's father was executed for being an enemy of the state and how his daughter rises above this by being a ballerina. But it's much more than that. She's recruited into the KGB for being able to see memories of people. She's told this is her way to redeem her flawed past. 


5. Listening to this on tape:

This one is about a teen who works in an used bookstore in Australia and the girl who comes back into his life after a tragedy. What's cool about this story is that people past letters to each other in the stacks. Love that twist.

**Guilty Pleasure:

More mediation. Really loving this as it's been helping me calm down with all the stress going on in the world right now, which includes dealing with my 16 year old son.

I think all the world needs a little mediation right now.


Comments

Shari Green said…
I loved Words in Deep Blue! :)
Kim Baccellia said…
It's pretty good.

Popular posts from this blog

YA Scavenger Hunt: Meet Amalie Howard

Blogfest 2012

#Wipmadness Week 3-- Celebrate Rejections