Friday Five

1. First off since the last couple days have been a call for diversity in children/YA literature, I went ahead and ordered one book that probably is a part of my own background. It's from Tu Books, a great imprint of Lee & Low that publishes diverse books.



My own ancestor came over with Cortez, fleeing the Spanish Inquisition. He was a converso-a converted Jew. I found in my own research many that came over were fleeing Spain too for similar reasons. Only later, the Inquisition followed to the New World to become the bloodiest and longest purge of those of Jewish background like my own ancestor Alvaro Acuna. I was able to get the Inquisition papers from 1644 from Mexico City. One good thing about the Catholic priests of that time is that they made triplicates of everything. Sure enough in 1644 there is record of an Alvaro Acuna who was tried for crimes. There are other Acunas listed too. I swear, while reading the records, I could feel the pain.

One publisher mentioned I have the basis of a great story here. I might write it down.

2. Also reading DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT:



Think Gossip Girls meets superpowers. Some teens in a NYC school have the flu shot which results in them being able to read minds. I could only imagine what would have happened if Gossip Girl had this power! Hilarious voice. Devoured in one sitting.

YA Books Central review coming soon!

3. Had to have yet another thyroid sonogram to check the nodules on my left side. It came back stable. Whew. Now need to do yet another round of blood work and probably check my gall bladder again. Getting older sucks big time.

4. Also very excited to read this:

As you all know I'm a quarter Italian. Both sides of my family immigrated here from Italy. **I'm also thinking of book three in the goddess series to take place in Rome!

5. This one looks very intriguing:




**Guilty Pleasure:

Hope to see latest Spider Man today! Love the chemistry of the two main characters that literally sizzles on screen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Scavenger Hunt: Meet Amalie Howard

Blogfest 2012

Week #1 Motivation